For the rest of 1945 and into 1946 Haddenham was little more than a backwater where little was done, certainly very few aircraft came or went.
In March of 1945 the Overseas Packing Unit moved in. They were responsible for the crating of equipment which was bound for overseas use by the RAF. Most of the work was the despatching of radar and radio navigation beacons, such as ‘GEE’ and ‘LORAN’ to units as far and wide as Singapore, Naples, Poona, Tunisia and the Persian Gulf. The packing unit left in April 1946, about their last function being to de-requisition Hopefield House, long the home of those posted to Haddenham.
Also here for a short time was the 3rd Reception Centre which was a
kind of half-way house for personnel between postings, the end of the war
in Europe being the main cause for so much movement. It arrived in May but
was gone by October.
The other main unit that was at Haddenham during this short time was a Radar Mechanics school which arrived from RAF Renscombe Down running courses from the huts and domestic buildings initially put up by the Glider Training Squadron four long years before.
‘RAF Thame’ finally closed on April 30th 1946.
©Copyright Peter Chamberlain, 2009, 2010, 2011